Here are some great DIY home projects that you can either do by yourself or with your kids to add a fun and fresh feel to your home! These activities allow you to take what you already have, add some simple little extras to them, and instantly class up your home by giving typically dull items a funky, chic makeover.
Button Up Your Napkins and Placemats
Add some flair to your dinner experience by sewing buttons onto your cloth napkins and placemats. Buttons come in such an array of colors and patterns these days that the possibilities for this are endless.
Using fabric glue, simply glue the buttons where you’d like them, then sew them into place using a needle and thread.
These napkins’ playful appearance will add a spunky spirit to your meal times, and your guests will be wowed by this cheerful and unique display.
Dress Up Your Flower Vase
Pick out cloth napkins and ribbons of your choice. Place your vase at the center of the napkin, bunch the fabric up evenly over the vase. Tuck the edges of the napkin over the lip, and tie a ribbon to the neck. Voila, you have a fun and crafty new flower vase!
Make Lanterns Out of Tin Cans
You Will Need:
- Tin cans
- Bailing wire
- Spray paint
- Tea light candles (real or LED)
- Soak cans in warm soapy water to remove labeling.
- Fill cans with water and freeze them until solid.
- To create handle holes: hammer two holes near the top, equidistant from each other.
- Draw a design on the cans, and hammer holes with a nail along the lines of the design.
- Allow ice to thaw and drain out in sink
- Hammer down bulging bottom portion to flatten out
- Spray paint cans
- Cut bailing wire to desired length. Form hooks on ends, and fit through the top holes to form the hanging handle portion.
- Place candle in tin cans display
Take those old brooches your grandmother or mother passed down to you out of the jewelry box where they never see the light of day, and turn them into something beautiful and useful. Just take off the pin portion of the brooch, affix a magnet there, and use them on the refrigerator or dry erase board to liven up your space.